Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Birchbox Review: February 2014

A little late to the game, but I figure as long as I haven’t received my March Birchbox, it’s still okay to post my February Birchbox review. I like to thoroughly use each product before forming an opinion; but next month (or rather this month) I will ensure a more timely post... onto the review!


Birchbox is a monthly beauty subscription service that provides 4 – 5 upscale samples (sometimes 6 – which is usually a well-known / affordable “Birchbox Find”). You will occasionally receive a full size product here and there, but they typically provide generous sample sizes. The subscription is only $10 a month and has a phenomenal points system. Each $10 monthly box you receive, you earn 10 points and each monthly sample you review on their website earns you an additional 10 points. If you buy full size products from their online Birchbox store, every dollar you spend earns you one point. Once you’ve accumulated 100 points (which happens in the blink of an eye), you receive $10 to spend in their online store.

Hello Perfume by Harvey Prince
Retail Price: $55.00 (50 ml)

 

[Birchbox Breakdown]
The brother duo behind Harvey Prince decided to mimic the joy of waking up to a warm day with the sun shining and the flowers blooming. The resulting blend is an energizing mix of citrus and floral notes that will keep you optimistic even when you get up on the wrong side of the bed.

Made with eco-friendly ingredients, this scent has all-day staying power. A top note of Meyer lemon captures the scent of fresh-squeezed lemonade, while Satsuma mandarin adds a double fruity note. Next up, summer forsythia and pink plumeria—traditionally found in Hawaiian leis—give the scent its heady floral layer.
[My Thoughts]

I have a difficult time detecting any scents. If I am able to detect a smell, it’s either on this magical spectrum of Ashly detectable scents, or extremely strong. I was able to grasp a hint of citrus and floral notes from Hello, but they were extremely faint. I will continue to use this sample as I always wear perfume; regardless if I can smell it or not. Although I may not be able to smell the perfume, I want to ensure that I always smell delicious to others around me. My mom and sister both loved this fragrance and described it as a perfect step into spring. I especially loved the adorable packaging and the fact that the perfume bottle was an actual “sprayer” and not the typical cheap dauber.

Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Shampoo
Retail Price: $19.99 (8 fl. oz.)
 
[Birchbox Breakown]

Dull strands? Heat styling, one too many hair coloring sessions, a not-so-great diet, and even aging could be to blame. Get the glow back in your mane with this luxurious shampoo from Fekkai. Natural olive oils encapsulate each strand to soften, hydrate, and add megawatt shine. Added bonus: This creamy rinse is totally safe for color-treated hair.
Most hair products that promise “extra shine” contain silicones, which weigh hair down and cause (gasp!) major frizz. Not the case here. Lightweight olive oil creates shine from the inside out, strengthening hair and repairing past damage.

[My Thoughts]
I was a little apprehensive with this shampoo as it stated its “scent” was olive oil, but was pleasantly surprised. It had a light floral / clean scent and was a great detangler. It provided my hair with a deep clean, gave it a slight shine, and did not strip it of its natural nutrients. I was not blown away with this product and will most likely not purchase a full size version, but enjoyed the sample while it lasted.

Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Conditioner
 
Retail Price: $19.99 (8 fl. oz.)
 

 [Birchbox Breakdown]
Ready to get your shine on? This creamy conditioner from Fekkai strengthens strands and adds a gorgeous gloss —all without weighing hair down. Best of all? It’s perfect for all hair types: curly, straight, color-treated, and, more importantly—yours. Brilliant, indeed.

Fekkai’s award-winning olive oil formula coats strands in lightweight moisture, so hair looks healthier, shinier, and decidedly frizz-free. A special encapsulated shine-release complex renews shine all day long.
[My Thoughts]
I thought that I would be more impressed with the conditioner than the shampoo, but was sadly mistaken. The shampoo seemed to provide more moisture and shine to my hair than the conditioner. Using the duo did leave my hair shiny (not oily) but I’ve had similar experiences with less expensive hair products. As stated with the shampoo, I enjoyed the sample while it lasted, but was not impressed enough to purchase a full size version.

32 Oral Care Effervescent Breath Crystals with IsoVoxy
 
Retail Price: $14.75 (30 count)
 


[Birchbox Breakdown]

If you miss spending your summer days with nothing but time to kill and a packet of Pop Rocks, then you’ll be happy to find these Effervescent Breath Crystals, which attack halitosis with the ferocity of that sweet, crackling candy. The science rests on a mix of bacteria-fighting ingredients that, when in contact with germ-filled teeth and gums, erases the effects of embarrassing odors caused by things like coffee, onions, and garlic with a series of mini-mouth explosions.
Unlike gum and breath mints, which only mask bad breath, these teeth-cleaning crystals pack zinc and IsoVoxy to kill odor-causing bacteria. Once dissolved, they leave a fresh scent courtesy of natural peppermint flavors.

How to Use

Pour the contents of an individual pack into your mouth and swish the crystals around, rubbing them against teeth and tongue. Let them dissolve or swallow and enjoy peppermint-fresh breath!
[My Thoughts]

I received two individual breath mint packets; one was Lemon Mint and the other was Spearmint. The company also offers Peppermint and Honey Mint. If you’ve ever had Pop Rock candy as a kid, then get ready to be launched back into your childhood! These breath mints were not only effective, but fun to use! I normally cannot tolerate most breath mints or gum for too long as they seem to always be overpowering. These little crystals packed a great minty punch, left my breath fresh for hours, and dissolved quickly. They were tolerable and not at all overpowering like most mints. These are perfect for on-the-go and great for last minute breath-freshening!

Revealed Palette Set by Coastal Scents®
Retail Price: $34.00 (contains: 1 Revealed Eye Shadow Pallet with 20 pots of eye shadow, 1 Elite Large Shadow brush, 1 Elite Dome Shadow brush, and 1 Elite Doefoot Blender brush)
 
 
Without Flash
 
With Flash
 

[Birchbox Breakdown]
Coastal Scents®… [created] this bevy of go-with-anything nude and metallic hues in one convenient palette. With 20 neutral shades ranging from a light beige to a deep black, this palette has you covered from day to night, even on the go. The smooth, powdered shadows glide on and blend easily.
 
[My Thoughts]
OMGosh these shades are amazing! When I first saw what four colors I received I was a little disheartened at how dark they were; I’m typically a much lighter / natural colored girl, when it comes to eye shadow. However, the moment I swatched this quad, I was blown away! The pigmentation of each shade is beyond this world, they are easily blendable, and are actually quite natural looking when applied. I wish that the quad detailed the names of each shade, but at least I received four colors that work beautifully together. I do not own many pallets and am looking forward to snagging this one in the near future. For only $34.00, you receive 20 amazing colors and three brushes; you cannot beat that value!


What did you receive in your February Birchbox? Have you tried any of these products in the past?

Interested in trying Birchbox yourself? Feel free to use my referral link here!

10 comments:

  1. I recently purchased the full Coastal Scents Revealed palette, but I haven't started playing with it yet. And I really want to try that perfume. I've read a couple reviews and people really seem to like it! And I think I HAVE to try/buy those pop-rock-y breath mints! How fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot WAIT to see a future review on the full Coastal Scents Revealed palette! I am seriously contemplating buying it; that's how impressed I was with just these four shades. The perfume is really great, light, citrusy, just the right hint of floral and perfect for spring. I can't detect it too much, but when I can catch a whiff of it, that's what I get. And my mom and sister loooooove it! The pop-rocky breath mints are pretty fun! I had lunch a week or two ago right before an interview at work (for a future boss) and I was like....ummm, what do I do?! I didn't want to be rude and chew gum, then I remembered I had this in my purse; perfect opportunity to test it out. And BOY did it work! It was fast, effective, totally fun, and made my breath fresh for the rest of the day!

      Delete
  2. I wish I had the $ to subscribe to 1 of those monthly boxes. I'm a sahm, so I can't afford it. I love fruity perfumes.
    http://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE fruity perfumes as well, Kimberly! I'm not a huge fan of strong musky / floral scents. I had to cancel a few other sub boxes due to low finances and am really becoming a penny pincher lately because of my spending. Do you coupon? That's always a fun way to save money and get to try new products. Also, be on the lookout for giveaways by these sub companies, they occasionally do like 1-3 month free subscriptions. I've contemplated giving a subscription for about the same time period away as a future giveaway; what sub company would you be most interested in seeing in a giveaway?

      Delete
  3. Looks great! That palette is awesome, seems like you got a great box or February!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly C! I'm usually impressed with Birchbox because of the variety in their boxes. I was exceptionally impressed with this month (February) and am looking forward to March. A few people have already received their March boxes and they look awesome! Do you subscribe to any monthly services like this?

      Delete
  4. I was so happy to see Fekkai in my box!! The brand is a favorite but I rarely buy full size because it's so expensive. Thanks for sharing your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to see shampoo / conditioner samples; they seem to be pretty generous from Birchbox. I was blown away by Fekkai, but it was pleasant. I just expect a bigger bang for my buck when they're "pricey". Thanks for the comment! Every comment makes me smile! <3

      Delete
  5. I love the Fekkai glossing line. I love the glossing cream, it's dreamy. I got the eyeshadow too and found it was nicely pigmented, but I hated the sample container. Still, there's probably a bajillion uses in the sample size.

    I can't wait to see what came in your March box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! I was actually REALLY surprised / in love with my March box; hoping to post my review soon :) I too disliked the packaging of the sample shadows, but BOY OH BOY were they generous! :)

      Delete